Consulate and Embassy

These is some confusion over consulates and embassies. Many times you will see the two words used interchangably. For the most part, they serve the same purpose for those seeking job in Korea.

To put it simply, an embassy is a country's headquarters within another country. The embassy is located in the capital of that country. So, Korea's embassy within America is located in Washington DC. A consulate is like a branch office of that embassy. There are many consulates spread out over a country to serve you. 

Check out our list of consulates for more information.

Wikipedia's definition (available at )

A permanent diplomatic mission is typically known as an embassy, and the person in charge of the mission is known as anambassador. The term "embassy" is often used to refer to the building or compound housing an ambassador's offices and staff. Technically, however, "embassy" refers to the diplomatic delegation itself, while the office building in which they work is known as achancery.

Ambassadors can reside within or outside of the chancery; for example, American diplomatic missions maintain separate housing for their ambassadors apart from their embassies. Ambassadors residing outside of the chancery retain special protection from the host country's security forces and the ambassadorial residences enjoy the same rights as missions. Like embassies, such residences are considered inviolable and, in most cases, extraterritorial. The residences of high commissioner, who are similar to ambassadors, have the same rights.

consulate is similar to (but not the same as) a diplomatic office, but with focus on dealing with individual persons and businesses, as defined by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations. A consulate or consulate general is generally a representative of the embassy in locales outside of the capital city. For instance, the United Kingdom has its Embassy of the United Kingdom in Washington, D.C., but also maintains seven consulates-general and four consulates elsewhere in the US. The person in charge of a consulate or consulate-general is known as a consul or consul-general, respectively. Similar services may also be provided at the embassy (to serve the region of the capital) in what is normally called a consular section.